This cake was inspired by the beautiful cake created for the recent Royal Wedding, by the very talented http://www.violetcakes.com/. Lemon and elderflower is such a delicious combination, and creates a really fresh light cake! This cake would be perfect for feeding a large group or for a birthday! I have decorated it with fresh roses and lemon slices, but feel free to experiment and create your own version.
Let's get started!
Ingredients for the Lemon Drizzle Cakes:
- 2 x ‘Boutique Bake’ Lemon Drizzle Cake Mix
- 300g butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 x lemon
- 50ml elderflower cordial (for the drizzle)
For the Buttercream icing:
- 250g butter
- 450g icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a mixing bowl, beat your ‘Boutique Bake’ lemon drizzle cake mix with the butter and eggs using al electric mixer
- Line two round cake tins (approx. 8-inch) with greaseproof paper
- Next, spoon the cake mixture into the tins and smooth out so the mixture is nice and even
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until well risen and golden-brown (or until a skewer inserted comes out clean)
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then place onto a wire rack to cool
- To make the elderflower drizzle, combine the cordial with the juice of 1 lemon
- Using a fork, prick the lemon cakes all over and then pour the drizzle over so it soaks through
- Note: You don't use the topping packs included in your cake mix box for this recipe, you can keep these for something else!